Wednesday, October 28, 2009

BP1_2009111_Getting Started


Video taken by ©Roxanne Santiago, 2009



There are many reasons why people blog. Blogs are a great place for people to think, plan and reflect on what is happening in their personal lives or around them. It is a place where people can collaborate with each other and share their thoughts with others.

Blogs can be useful in an educational setting. Blogging helps students get involved with the technology of the 21st century. On a regular basis, blogging can help the development of reading and writing skills. Teachers can have the students use blogs to create a portfolio of sample student writing, a journal for students to express their opinions on the topics that are being discussed in class, or just to evaluate students' prior knowledge of a topic before a lesson.

Through my research online, I found that I, as an art teacher, can use a blog in many different ways. I can post an image of a work of art and have my students write about it using the elements of art to help describe what they see. This will allow students to become more familiar with the use of vocabulary terms and how to use these terms in their writing, discussions or when describing a work of art. Students can write reactions to questions that I post underneath the images or videos. Students can agree or disagree with the comments left by their classmates and explain their rationale. I can even see my students using a blog to reflect on their project or the process of creating their project for that particular day since I see my students once a week. Students can post their work and critique someone else’s. The possibilities seem endless.

4 comments:

  1. Research does point to the fact that students learn when they are able to talk; either to each other, or to others on the Net.

    Students are very comfortable going onto the Net and talking with others. These conversations seem to solidify mastery of the teaching. Blogging does provide that avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find that once I had the students "talk" to each other about the steps needed for their project in class instead of asking me, students were more likely to retain the information and work independently. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never blogged with my students before or had a blog set up for my students to use, but I can see the benefits of it. At the end of the school year, I share my school e-mail with my class and offer to write back to them so that we can keep in touch. I am always amazed by how many students choose to e-mail me.

    I'm curious what kind of "controls" my district would need in place to allow me to create a blog with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool - nice touch with the video clip and great slide share!

    ReplyDelete