Saturday, November 7, 2009

BP10_20091108_Web 2.0 tool Magic Pen


Magic Pen

Video created by © Roxanne Santiago

Magic Pen is a web 2.0 flash game that works like a brainteaser. It is a physics-based puzzle playground created by Alejandro Guillen. Using the mouse, players draw shapes with a crayon to get a red ball across the screen toward a flag. In order for the players to accomplish this, players must draw bridges and other shapes to get the red ball to move toward its destination. Any shapes can be drawn anywhere to make this possible. Players can even use pins and hinges to connect shapes to get them to swing and move other shapes.

This game is addictive! The shapes are affected by gravity, friction and inactivity. You must understand how physics works in order to complete the task. Once you draw an object it is set in motion. It is extremely challenging. I tried testing out the game and the next thing I knew an hour had passed. I wasn’t even far in the game but was enjoying the challenge. This game can get the students to use their critical thinking skills to move on to the next level of the game. I can see teachers, like myself, using this game as a reward for students who have completed a project early. Play now! http://magic.pen.fizzlebot.com/

7 comments:

  1. I love this game! I could definitely see using it as an enrichment activity when students have finished their work. It would be especially good after a unit on geometry or physics, like you said. Thanks for finding this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, just what I need - a fun game to suck up my time! I really like this a lot, and am tucking it away to use with my math students at summer academy next year. I think that I will have them play the game for several days, discuss the shapes used, and then we'll work on physically building our own real-life puzzle. It'll be great! We can sketch our models on the computer using Google Sketch-Up or a simple graphing program like LucidChart, and then use blocks and other easy-to-find objects to mock up our own game. Thanks for finding this fun tool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne,

    Even though I am a middle school teacher and this seems like something that would appeal to elementary school, I think my students would love it! It would be a simple was to teach and add to lessons of physical science for 8th graders as they have to work with Simple Machines. In that Unit, they will have to make, and develop an understanding for how simple machines work within their everyday world and have to build simple and compound machines as projects in class. I am interested in using this tool to see how 8th graders use it. I am sure they will come up with better ideas than us teachers on how to use it and what will be interesting for kids.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also in 8th grade we study gravity and friction. This is a great choice or reward activity that keeps the learning going for my students even after the regular part of class. My middle schoolers are so competitive that they will get all into this. We may have to devise a way of score keeping so that there is a prize for the student or class that reaches a certain level.

    This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! I think this would be something that the science teachers at our school could use with great success! I think it's a super way to teach about simple machines, friction, gravity, etc. Do you find that this particular tool is blocked by school filters often? Hopefully not, because it's one of the most exciting and valuable tools I've seen for teaching a science concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it addictive?!?!? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete